Do you care about the people you love so deeply that it sometimes hurts? Does your heart ever ache for people you don’t even know well or you have only heard about? Do you ever feel like you are carrying the “weight of the world” on your shoulders? I’ve been there. There is a way to make a difference but travel lighter!
Are you carrying guilt or worry about people or situations even though you have done all you can possibly think of to help, seek wisdom, work harder, or make changes. Does your concern ever feel like a heavy weight that is knotting up your muscles or keeping you awake at night even though you are earnestly praying for things to get better? I have been there. There is a healthier way!
Especially as my children are growing and I am determined to be the best parent I can possibly be, I have had to check my anxiety vs. faith level in the middle of my prayers for their health and overall well-being and joy. I have challenged myself: Am I really “praying” if at the same time, I am not letting go and putting loved ones and situations in the hands of God. Am I really believing if I am still feeling “weighed down”.
As I intercede for people and situations, I have asked God to continue to increase my faith in His promises and power, and to help me not to carry what he wants to carry for me. Some practical things that have helped:
1) Thanking Him for the beautiful and wonderful things that He has done and that I do see unfolding.
2) Thanking God for accomplishing healing, restoration and great things before I even see them happen.
3) As needed, forgiving, releasing and blessing others and myself, because we all have made mistakes, have blind spots, and are learning and growing.
4) Choosing not to carry the weight of a loved one who may be holding something against me, even though I have done all I can to understand and make amends, and I continue to show love.
5) Declaring and celebrating Who God is and what His promises are, as I worship and continue to intercede for others “in the spirit and with understanding ” (1Cor 14:15). This has brought amazing breakthrough in people, relationships, and situations!
6) Remembering that part of giving Jesus his full reward for all His suffering is choosing to walk in peace, trust and joy!
7) Reading again and again these words that I sensed God speaking to me:
I took to the cross the weight of the pain of every person and situation in need of wholeness, goodness and love. I am continually orchestrating opportunities for mind renewal and every kind of healing and joyful purpose for you and the people you care about. Keep praying and expect marvelous things to happen. I suffered at the cross so that you do not have to suffer by carrying guilt, worry, or heaviness.
… if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you (Matt 17:20).
And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive (Matt. 21:22).
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory…. (Eph. 3:20-21).
…I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding (1Cor 14:15).
For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring; They will spring up among the grass Like willows by the watercourses.’… (Isaiah 44:4).
Because of God’s power within us, we can be peaceful prayer warriors full of joy and expectation! We can release that heavy weight and witness the goodness of God in all that concerns us!